Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Why We Need Each Other

Why We Need Each Other

by Matt Lott of the band Wavorly

Sometimes I don't want to go to church.Some weeks, it's just hard for me to get up and go. Yeah, laziness is no excuse for missing church, but it has happened. Other times, my reason for not going starts with nagging thoughts about some of the people who've hurt me. Or people I've had bad experiences with at churches. I think about some of the people who don't seem to represent the name of Christ too well. Thinking about those experiences makes me want to stay home.

When I read the IYF article, "The Cure for Loneliness," it hit me that maybe I wasn't really giving the people around me much of a chance. Maybe my attitude was messed up. Maybe I misunderstood the purpose of church.

The article refers to a phrase in the Apostle's Creed that just kept coming back to me: " … the communion of saints." This really stuck out in my mind because it made me realize that the communion of saints includes everyone, including people like me who aren't very saintly at times. And having all those people together is important. Why?

The author quotes John 13:35. It reads, "If you love each other, everyone will know that you are my disciples" (CEV). We have to love and support our brothers and sisters in Christ. It's how we show God's love.

That helped me see that I'm often so concerned with loving the lost and reaching out to the unsaved that I forget my own Christian brothers and sisters. I don't support them as much as I could, I don't commune with these saints, and I even use some of them as excuses not to go to church! It's easy for me to let small hurts stand in the way of loving my brothers and sisters in Christ.

This article reminded me that the love I show my fellow believers will help those who don't believe see that Christ's love is for everyone, no matter what we've done or what we struggle with. I also am reminded that I should be happy to have opportunities to be with other Christians in church. Because by learning to love other believers as they are, I am modeling the love of God.

No comments: