Monday, December 20, 2010

The Times Are a'Changin

I'm baaaaaaack! I'm sorry for my neglectful ways, my friends. I can't believe it has been 6 months since I last posted. I'm hoping that in the coming year, I can be a bit more active in the blog front.

Bob Dylan once wrote that "The Times They Are a-Changin'." That particular line has been so true over these past six months, but seeing as I am not a big fan of way-too-long blog posts myself, I'll see if I can briefly explain to you what has been going on.

June 2010: I accepted a position at Archbishop Coleman F. Carroll High School as a Social Studies teacher. This was a huge step in my life for many reasons:

1) Education is the profession I have wanted to be in since the middle of my
collegiate career. This is the first opportunity I have to teach an
entire schedule of classes on my own and get paid for it.

2) I am teaching AP United States History along with 12th Grade American
Government. I am also teaching one class of World History. These are the
subjects that I have been passionate about since my late elementary
school years. Now, I get to share that passion with the youth of
Southwest Miami-Dade County.

3) I am teaching at a Catholic school, and unlike other schools that I have
visited, this particular school is very committed to enhancing a faith-
based learning environment. Its motto - "First the Kingdom of God" -
explains what its mission is centered on - Christ.

I will save the details on my experience at the school for a later blog, but so far, my time there has been absolutely wonderful. Busy, hectic, and time-consuming? Yes. But wonderful nonetheless.

In August, I began work at the school and have successfully survived half the year. Not an easy task with seniors who are already coping with premature senioritis.

Now, comes the bigger change in my life. On November 4th, I proposed to my high school sweetheart Alexandra. It was a long-time coming, and I will post details about that day soon (I hope).

Times are certainly changing for me; in my opinion, they are changing for the better. Does this mean I am getting older? Certainly. However, I have never felt more fulfilled in my life.

I am marrying the woman I love and working in a career that I love, all the while serving the One whom I love and trust above all. All of these things remind me of that verse from Scripture (and being that it is Advent, I find it most appropriate):

Glory to God in the highest, and peace to His people on earth.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yayy! Good things. :-)