Monday, June 15, 2009

Now What?

My graduation is coming up this December, and when a milestone is approaching in your life, you can't help but think about your future. I'm at a point where I'm thinking about what to do with my life come 2010. I was so sure up to about a month ago what I wanted to do. I was going to leave Miami to attend graduate school and then move back to teach.
However, about a month ago, the leaders (a couple) of the youth group at my church approached me and told me that they would like for me to become the new youth group leader at St. Kevin's within the next couple of years. I have always wanted to go into youth/young adult ministry. However, that would be in conflict with my plans for graduate school outside of South Florida.
I really don't know what to do right now. I want to do so many things. I want to do something that will extend God's mission to proclaim the Gospel - not necessarily with words, as I reflect on the words of St. Francis of Assisi: "Preach the Gospel at all times, and when necessary use words."
Do I lead my youth group, and try to help teenagers find Christ in their troubling lives?
Do I focus on academics (i.e. grad school) and be Christ to my peers?
I pray that God helps me find the first step towards what, ultimately, is my purpose. Here are some things that I have been praying and reflecting about:

1) I would love to go away from Miami for graduate school, because:
a) The experience should be very rewarding.
b) It looks good on a resume to have different degrees from different
schools.
2) I would love to continue my research, and become a scholar in History.
3) I would love to get some certification/training in ministry, preferable
youth/young adult ministry.
4) I would love to be a writer by trade, one day.
5) I would love to work in media (print or radio) to express my views and have
discussion about politics, because I love politics, though I have no desire to
join the political arena.

I don't know which one of these things, or which ones, or if any of them is where God will lead me. Whatever I do, I really want to make an impact on people's lives. I want to be an example of Christ to the world. Does it mean that you will ever see me giving a sermon at a church? Probably not. I am not one who is that fond of speaking to immense crowds at this point. But wherever the LORD leads me, I hope I can reach heaven one day, stand before Him, and say "I have used every gift that you bestowed upon me. Nothing has been wasted."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not gonna lie...it's tough trying to figure out God's will for your life.
There are a lot of things I would like to do as well...and sometimes I think maybe I will get to do them all...but when the time is right...like different seasons in my life.

You just have to pray and be sensitive to the Holy Spirit. God will reveal himself to you in due time.
I know you'll figure it out. ;-)

P.S. And I think you should just get married already, lol. ;-) Kidding...

alexita said...

i agree!! ;D