Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Office Fun Part Deux

This particular event happened about a month ago. It's not only to gripe about a student, but about how people work (or don't work) at FIU:

A man walked into the office and walked straight through to the back (where the Writing Center is located). I figured he knew where he was going. He comes back to the front and yells, in a very heavy Hispanic accent:

Man with Accent (MwA): LEGAL STUDIES?!?!?!

Me: Excuse Me?

MwA: LEGAL STUDIES INSTITUTE?!?!

Me: Are you looking for Legal Studies?

MwA: Ya.

Me: Well this is the Testing Center and Learning Center.

MwA: No, they're here.

Me: Actually, we've been here since December 2007. They must have been here before, but had to change location.

MwA: Well, I remember that they were here.

Me: Well, I think they moved down the hall (point with my finger) and then turn right. I don't remember which room number exactly, though. Let me check (I check the phonebook online and I confirm the room number). Yeah they are in GL 153.

MwA: Okay. Thank you.

Me: Have a nice day.

About 6 minutes later, he comes in the office again.

MwA: They have to be in here.

Me: They're not in GL 153?

MwA: No. They're here.

Me: The person in 153 told you that?

MwA: No. Nobody is there. They're here.

Me: Why don't I call them for you, because they may not have updated their location on the phonebook.

MwA: They have to be here.

Me: Just hold on...

I call the Legal Studies number.

Legal Studies Receptionist (LSR): Legal Studies, how can I help you?

Me: Hi. I have a student at GL 120 looking for your office. Where are you located?

LSR: We're at MARC 130.

Me: Oh, okay. It's just that online it said you were located in GL 153.

LSR: Yes, I know.

(Awkward silence...I feel like saying 'are you going to do anything about it?')

Me: Okay. Well, thank you.
to MwA
Well, apparently they are located in MARC 130.

I show him a campus map and he goes on his merry way. Not only do I have to deal with troublesome students, but the employees at this bureaucracy they call FIU are not much help either...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha. Wow. I don't envy you. ;-)
These posts are fun. Keep 'em coming!

Lauren said...

i concur with Kristel. It makes me feel a little better about my work location. Although, they aren't much better.